• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afterburn 4.0 and Multithread ON = Crash (2008, 2009, 32/64-
Essentially if I have multithreading turned on under the rendering tab in preferences I get crashes when I send a scene to render. The crashes seem to strike more often when I have multiple omni lights (more than 2) or multiple PFlow emitters. I tested this with 3ds Max 2008 and 2009 32-bit (windows xp sp3) and 3ds Max 2008 and 2009 64-bit (Vista 64 sp1).

I'm running a Mac Pro 8-core (dual Xenon Quads) with 14 Gb of RAM. With multithreading off my renders take 8-times longer since they're only using one of the eight processors.

Thanks guys!
Hello,

Do you maybe have a scene that frequently crash, so we can run tests here ?

Thank you

Kresimir
Here's the scene that crashes a lot. I'm out the state right now I've tried rendering the scene again on a friend's computer and I'm still getting the crashes. Frame 340 is one of the frames that crashes.

Again, this is with multithreading ON.

Thanks
I am experiencing the same issue.
I have been trouble shooting for a while before I read about the multi threading and the seems to have cleared up the crashing.
The scene i have been testing with is very basic. I have one Pflow source with about 60 particles and one omni light. If you move the omni light to close to the Pflow source or add a second light. It crashes instantly on render. with error In file'.\EXPLODE.CPP Line 7355. I have tested with Vray render, shadows, scanline renders and it still crashes. I feel that this is a major flaw in 4.0. If many other people are experiencing this, then it needs to be resolved right away. No studio is going to make a deadline rendering a complex scene with one core.
justpier Wrote:I am experiencing the same issue.
I have been trouble shooting for a while before I read about the multi threading and the seems to have cleared up the crashing.
The scene i have been testing with is very basic. I have one Pflow source with about 60 particles and one omni light. If you move the omni light to close to the Pflow source or add a second light. It crashes instantly on render. with error In file'.\EXPLODE.CPP Line 7355. I have tested with Vray render, shadows, scanline renders and it still crashes. I feel that this is a major flaw in 4.0. If many other people are experiencing this, then it needs to be resolved right away. No studio is going to make a deadline rendering a complex scene with one core.

The only solution I've found is to turn AB Shadow maps off and use regular ray trace shadows with atmospheric shadows checked. It works with multithreading on, but it doesn't take advantage of AB's new shadow maps. I'm also hoping that this is solved with a patch because I'm only using one core and a fraction of my RAM. I'm crossing my fingers.
Hello,

I have problem downloading this zip file.
Can you please send to mailto:kresimir@afterworks.com

Thank you.

Kresimir
I was having the same issue with ABURN 4.0. I contacted support and they used a sample scence file that I was using to trouble shoot. They were able to create a patch for the multithread crashes.
I asked if there was going to be a public release of the patch and it should be available soon.
I am having the same problem, has a patch been released?