• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fume 5 silent install?
Is it possible to install Fume 5 silently via command line? I'd like to get this out to a lot of machines. What flags can I use for this?
Hello,

If you unpack the main exe, you will get several files including setup.exe.

Here is the information from the Installshield manual and hope this helps.

Setup.exe is the main setup executable; it performs setup initialization and launches the setup engine file (Ikernel.ex_) to execute the setup script (Setup.inx) on the target system.
When you first create a setup project or run the Media Wizard with a new media name, Setup.exe and IKernel.ex_ are placed in the Disk1 folder under the default location. You must ship these files on Disk1 of your distribution media. Once you have built your setup, you can rename Setup.exe to any valid filename, such as Install.exe.
You can pass command line switches directly to Setup.exe, or you can place them in Setup.ini. For testing purposes, while you are using the InstallShield IDE you can pass command line switches to Setup.exe in the Setup Settings dialog box.

Syntax

Setup [switches]

Switches

These switches are optional. They are not case sensitive; upper- or lowercase letters can be used.

/d or -d

Runs setup in debug mode. The -d switch also includes a option for specifying the path of the Setup.dbg file (but not the filename, unlike previous versions of InstallShield Professional). For more information, refer to the Visual Debugger help file.

/f or -f

Specifies an alternate compiled script. Unless the compiled script (.inx file) also resides in the same directory as that of Setup.exe, the full path to the compiled script must be specified. For example, setup -ftest.inx will launch setup using Test.inx instead of Setup.inx.

/f1 or -f1

Specifies an alternate location and name of the response file (.iss file). If this option is used when running InstallShield Silent, the response file is read from the folder/file specified by. If this option is used along with the -r option, the response file is written to the folder/file specified by. If an alternate compiled script is specified using the -f switch, the -f1 switch entry must follow the -f switch entry.

/f2 or -f2

Specifies an alternate location and name of the log file created by InstallShield Silent. By default, Setup.log log file is created and stored in the same directory as that of Setup.inx. If an alternate compiled script is specified using the -f switch, the -f2 switch entry must follow the -f switch entry.

/m or -m

Causes Setup.exe to generate a Management Information Format (.mif) file automatically at the end of the setup. Do not include a path or an extension. The .mif file is always placed in the Windows folder. is optional. If you do not specify a filename, the resulting file will be called Status.mif.

/m1 or -m1

Tells setup to place the indicated serial number in the created .mif file.

/m2 or -m2

Tells setup to place the indicated locale in the .mif file. English (ENU) is the default; refer to Microsoft documentation for a complete listing of locale strings.

/r or -r

Causes Setup.exe automatically to generate a silent setup file (.iss file), which is a record of the setup input, in the Windows folder.

/s or -s

Runs InstallShield Silent to execute a silent setup.

Comments

Separate multiple command line switches with a space. But do not put a space inside a command line switch (for example, /r /fInstall.inx is valid, but not /r/f Install.inx).

When using long path and filename expressions with switches, enclose the expressions in double quotation marks. The enclosing double quotes tell the operating system that spaces within the quotation marks are not to be treated as command line delimiters.

User-defined command line switches

Along with the command line switches listed above, -zi is a command line switch reserved by InstallShield. User redefinition of this command line switch, both upper- and lowercase, can cause errors.

You can define your own command line arguments, which are copied to the system variable CMDLINE at run time. User defined command line arguments must be specified before specifying any predefined Setup options. Like predefined command line switches, you can pass these arguments directly to Setup.exe, place them in Setup.ini, or (for testing purposes while you are using the InstallShield IDE) place them in the Setup Settings dialog box.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
I would be really interested too in a Command line for batch installation.

I've already tried to unzip the installer and then running the setup.exe, but i can't get a quiet mode on this installer.

That's really frustrating !

-p-
/**
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tatprod.com/">http://tatprod.com/</a><!-- m -->
**/
Hello,

Have you tried to run the /r option first so that installer can record all your options first ?

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Okay !

I've finally find the way to make a silence install of FumeFX. (after so many years ^^')
This is so tricky, please consider to put this in the documentation.

Here's my setup : Windows 10, 3dsmax 2017, FumeFX 5.0.1.

- Unzip the FumeFX501R2017.EXE to \\path\
- Now you need to create a .ISS file to give the instruction for a silence install. So you need to install a first time with UI. (done on my workstation)
- go to the \\path\ and open a CMD
- Setup.exe /r /s /f1"\\path\SilenceFFX.iss" (carefull, no space between /f1 & "\\path\" )
- normal installation with UI
- a SilenceFFX.iss should have been created. You can see it with a text editor.
- Now you are ready to silence install with the command : Setup.exe /s /f1"\\path\SilenceFFX.iss" (you can put this into a .bat file for multiple installation)

Hope this can help !
Cheers
-p-
/**
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tatprod.com/">http://tatprod.com/</a><!-- m -->
**/
I'm glad you were able to work this out.
We're working on the FAQ for the web site and we'll make sure to include silent installation,

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec