• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't create new fumefx nodes, OR edit existing ones
Hi,

I am using FumeFx 3.5.8 on Maya 2015, SP6.

I have two problems , I think they are related to node long names, your help will be appreciated:

Problem 1
When I create a new FumeFX node (FumeFX -> FumeFX node), the node gets created (can find it in the outliner), however I get the following error messages:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2015/FumeFX/scripts/ffxMenu.mel line 562: No object matches name: |ffxMRVol3243260351298749680|ffxMRVolShape3243260351298749680 //
select -r fumeFX44 ;
// Error: line 1: Could not find vector attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_col_tab[-1].sh_fire_col_tab_Color. //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_col_tab[-1].sh_fire_col_tab_Position //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_col_tab[-1].sh_fire_col_tab_Interp //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_opac_tab[-1].sh_fire_opac_tab_FloatValue //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_opac_tab[-1].sh_fire_opac_tab_Position //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_fire_opac_tab[-1].sh_fire_opac_tab_Interp //
// Error: line 1: Could not find vector attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_col_tab[-1].sh_smoke_col_tab_Color. //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_col_tab[-1].sh_smoke_col_tab_Position //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_col_tab[-1].sh_smoke_col_tab_Interp //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_opac_tab[-1].sh_smoke_opac_tab_FloatValue //
// Error: line 1: Could not find attribute named |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_opac_tab[-1].sh_smoke_opac_tab_Position //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: |fumeFX44|fumeFXShape1.sh_smoke_opac_tab[-1].sh_smoke_opac_tab_Interp //

Problem 2

As a workaround the above problem, I tried to use an existing older node in the scene that I no longer use. However, when I try to render FumeFX, I get a blank screen and Maya complains that it could not find a light, however I have linked one point light source to the grid (see attached that shows the light source and it's connection to fumefx node). In the console, I get the following error messages:

// Warning: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: connection to light shape debris_lShape1 detected, linking first instance debris_l1 instead //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: connection to light shape keyShape detected, linking first instance key instead //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: couldn't find light node key, ignored //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: connection to light shape keyShape detected, linking first instance key instead //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: couldn't find light node key, ignored //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: connection to light shape fillShape detected, linking first instance fill instead //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Custom) : debrisShape: couldn't find light node fill, ignored //

Thanks,
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on this problem? I am looking for a quick workaround (or even some ideas to try) as I am having a tight deadline and not being able to use FumeFX delays my production...

Thanks in advance,
Hello,

Does this happens when you create a new scene and create new FumeFX node?
So far we haven't seen this, so it is hard to tell what went wrong in Maya.

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
Hi,

This happens in an existing maya scene after adding and deleting many FumeFX nodes, each time the name of the expression created by the new FumeFX gets longer and I "think" at some points maya cannot handle long names (maybe they have a 256 character limit for strings).

However, I found a workaround (which is really bad, but at least fixed the problem): I created a new maya scene and imported the entire scene except for FumeFX grids, then created new FumeFX grids (which took normal "short" names) with the same description as the old scene and just pointed them to use the old FumeFX cache files.

Thanks,
Hello,

Glad that you've found a workaround as not sure why Maya would create such a long name at the first place.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec