• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tornado sim question
hi,
i have a particle system + vortex + fumeFX grid + fumeFX particle source. The particle system looks good, however I have a simple problem that I cannot fix: smoke is always stuck to particles, i.e one can always see the overall particle path?! how can i make the smoke moves in thin layers in the same path as the particles (like any movie quality shot)?
I've tried to increase fumeFX particle source velocity but it did not work? If I use noise, it gives random noise. Also, I cannot apply force to smoke bc when I do so I encounter lots of sim problems after ...

thanks in advance,
Try to increase density of emitting smoke and tune smoke dissipation. You must solve the problem with velocity, that particles pushing smoke, it is important for keeping smoke on that path. Also play with opacity ramp of smoke, left side of curve is dissipating smoke, right side is thickest. So that right side you need to decrease.

Ps: You have to check stoke plugin for Max, this will help you a lot with tornado sims.
thanks Thomixioso for your reply. i've tried different ways to give it a volume but i end up with different results that are not what i am looking for. My final solution was to just emit smoke from particles at the bottom with some beyonce and use deformers to shape a little bit how smoke appears in space. I only know/use maya, so stoke plugin would be hard to use now, but i will keep this in mind and thanks for sharing this tip Smile