• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gpu 'not supported'
Hi guys,

Is there still an option to use the previous floating non-gpu preview window like fume 4? Can't get gpu viewport working, states 'not supported' when gpu is selected.

System info:

Dell T7600
Windows 7 x64
192GB ram
3ds max 2019
Fume 5.0.4
Asus Nvidia RTX 2060, Driver version is latest

Thanks!
Hello,

The old PW and new one use the same code so it would be the sabe behavoir as in FumeFX 4.
Can you please show the screenshot of the message ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hi Kresimir,

It flashes "unsupported graphic device 0x000F" in lower left corner, just fume box shows in viewport (unless I turn on voxel view to see just the voxels of course). In Fume4 I didn't really use gpu viewport, just used basic preview window so was wondering, if there's an issue with using gpu, if the older style preview is still available, though wasn't clear on how non-gpu worked back in Fume4. Currently with Fume5 have no way to preview sims unless I render stills or turn on voxel view, so hoping to get this working soon so I can use this in production.

Also after a few flashes of the error message, 3ds max freezes, or bogs down, and I usually have to kill the process. This newer gpu is recommended for Arnold GPU and 3ds max, so hoping I don't have to get rid of it. Have tried both DirectX 11 and 9 - same issue.

Additionally, have followed the v5.0.4 video, but in 3dsmax 2019 am not seeing how to select a floating window - or maybe I'm missing something. I believe it's only for 3ds2020, so perhaps I can't do a native floating viewport window in 3ds2019.

Thanks.
Any thoughts on a workaround or fix for getting a preview working? Was hoping to benchmark this machine to determine if I'm going to keep it or fallback to older hardware. My other option is to go back to Fume4. Thx again.
Hello,

The error 0x000F means that OpenGL context cannot be initialized, so it must be something related to drivers.
I'm afraid that this cannot be solved quickly.

Best,

Kresimir Tkalcec
Thx Kresimir.

So would there be any suggestions? My only ideas are:

--change graphics card to an older one
--provide a fume4.x style preview window (or is that complicated)
--i fallback to fume4 for now

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Brian
Hello,

Sure, we can try with FumeFX 4.0 and CPU Preview and in the meantime we'll test it here although it will be RTX 2080 card.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kreismir Tkalcec
After many updates, fiddling, I've been able to get it working - so I've reinstalled Fumefx 5.04. Thank you!

Now the question is, would it still be possible to allow an option for the older style preview window but in 3dsmax 2019 since I can't find a way to create a floater unless I'm on 2020 which isn't an option currently.

I ask because I can't get the same look in the gpu viewport window - it's pixelated even at quality 5, and the smoke color doesn't match the shader setting like it did in the older style preview window. So am still interested in the original floating window which more accurately represented the sim results that render.

Thanks!
Hello,

We've changed some GPU render params for 5.0.5 beta, so please email us if you want to test how this works on your sytem.
It might fix the pixelation issue, but we cannot test this as all our machines redner GPU preview properly.

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
Thx Kresimir! Replied to email.
Hello,

We've tested FumeFX 5 with MSI GeForce RTX 2080Ti with the latest drivers (ver. 436.18) and everyhing was working properly.
It might be something very specific with your hardware and/or drivers.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hmm. Thx for checking that out.

I'm also wondering if maybe it's something about the viewport or gpu settings for how max displays in the viewport? Can you suggest any? I like to work in non-AA mode for speed however if you think that would cause jiggling in a Fume preview, let me know - like it would have issues interpolating fumefx data.

I'm still pitching for the option to have a separate old-style v4 preview window. It's partly the reason I still have to flip to ffx 4 in 3ds2019 for some sims - if I need to ensure I'll get a smooth preview of the sim without having to make a render. It'd be a shame to not fully move to Fume5 only for that reason, but it's enough of one for me because my caches are huuuge.
Hello,

Any chance you could record your viewport so we can see what wort of issues you're seeing
Thank would help a lot as we cannot reproduce it.

Thank you.
Hi, sorry - I missed this. Will look into that. Thx again.