• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnold rendering problems
I'm trying to render with Arnold in Maya 2015 SP5 and nothing is happening. I've installed everything correctly, the license for Arnold shaders has been authorized and installed properly. The .dll seems to be in the correct place, but my render doesn't get to the render screen, it just stays blue.

See attached.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Any suggestions? I tried rendering a simple sphere with a spot light in Arnold and it works, so my install of Arnold is fine - it's not working FumeFX.
There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.
-Do you have image plane on camera?

-Try use direct light instead of spot

- What about script editor or Output Window, do you see any errors there?
Thomixioso Wrote:-Do you have image plane on camera?

-Try use direct light instead of spot

- What about script editor or Output Window, do you see any errors there?

No image plane in scene.

Directional light made no difference.

Nothing in script editor but output window has these errors:

00:00:00 488MB WARNING | [mtoa] [mtoa_shaders] [node volume_collector] Assigning temporary node id 1138176 to associated Maya type name aiVolumeCollector.
00:00:00 488MB WARNING | FumeFXShader.dll was compiled against non-compatible Arnold 4.2.6.1
00:00:00 488MB ERROR | [mtoa] [xgenTranslator] Could not find xgen_procedural in search path $ARNOLD_PLUGIN_PATH
00:00:00 491MB WARNING | [mtoa] Extension FumeFXExtension(C:/solidangle/mtoadeploy/2015/extensions/FumeFXExtension.dll) requires Maya plugin FumeFX, registering will be deferred until plugin is loaded.
00:00:00 WARNING | FumeFXShader.dll was compiled against non-compatible Arnold 4.2.6.1
00:00:00 WARNING | FumeFXShader.dll was compiled against non-compatible Arnold 4.2.6.1
00:00:00 1017MB ERROR | [volume] error reading dynamic library from FumeFXShader.dll: The specified module could not be found.

The FumeFXExtension.dll is in the correct path.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
looks like your Fumefx Arnold shader is another version than your Arnold Renderer. You have to update Fumefx version 3.5.7.
Hi,
we've recently solved a few bugs, and did some improvements to Arnold shader.

Since Solid Angle made a new version of Arnold which is much faster with FumeFX, we've compiled against latest version (Arnold 4.2.6.1).

FumeFX shader won't work with Arnold versions older than 4.2.6.1. Unfortunately we cannot compile against older versions anymore because Solid Angle removed all old versions of their Maya translator (MtoA) from their servers.

Please download latest Arnold for Maya, and everything should work.

Regards,
Josip Sumecki
I think I'll stick with Mental Ray for now - I can't update Arnold on this machine unfortunately. I will be posting some issues I'm having with Mental Ray in another thread.
josip Wrote:Hi,
we've recently solved a few bugs, and did some improvements to Arnold shader.

Since Solid Angle made a new version of Arnold which is much faster with FumeFX, we've compiled against latest version (Arnold 4.2.6.1).

FumeFX shader won't work with Arnold versions older than 4.2.6.1. Unfortunately we cannot compile against older versions anymore because Solid Angle removed all old versions of their Maya translator (MtoA) from their servers.

Please download latest Arnold for Maya, and everything should work.

Regards,
Josip Sumecki

OK so I was able to update to the latest version of Arnold 1.2.2.0 and now there are no errors coming up, nothing in the script editor or the Output Window and I'm getting black frames. There's no alpha - nothing is going through. I have my lights setup with the Arnold exposure at 15, everything in Arnold is default and nothing.

Any suggestions?
Hi,
there's an easy way if FumeFX shader is correctly installed.

Do following steps:
* Create a simple FumeFX scene (just FumeFX with few simulated caches is ok)
* Export created scene to .ass file

You can open .ass file in any text editor and try to search for FumeFX inside. If .ass file doesn't contain information about FumeFX, it means that FumeFX translator is not loaded by MtoA plugin. Check "extensions" folder, it must contain FumeFXExtension.dll and FumeFXExtension.py. If it contains those files, then Arnold is not correctly setup (probably Maya.env file).

If .ass file contains information about FumeFX, there are a few more things to check. First, check DSO value for FumeFX inside .ass file. It should contain location of FumeFXShader.dll. If that location is invalid, please post it here so we can examine it. Check that there is FumeFXShader.dll at that location.

Regards,
Josip
I exported a .ass file and opened it with a text editor as you suggested. There are no instances of fumeFX in the file.

I proceeded to look within the 'solidangle/mtoadeply/2015/extentions' folder and FumeFXExtension.dll and FumeFXExtension.py are missing.

Do I need to reinstall and reauthorize fumeFX? I can't seem to fine those 2 files anywhere. I do have a fumeFX/Arnold license and tried re-authorizing but nothing changed.
Try to reinstall FumeFX shader for Arnold. It seems that Arnold installation erased FumeFX shader.

Regards,
Josip
Yep that did it - thank you
I'm glad I could help.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Josip Šumečki