• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AB and 3D Studio Max 2015
Hi,

I currently use Afterburn with Max 2014 with no problems, however when I used the Max 2015 installer to add Afterburn to Max 2015 it does not seem to load. All the files in the Afterburn directory appear to be in the Max 2015/plugins directory, but Afterburn does not load and is not available in the Max Effects pull downs.
I tried deinstalling and reinstalling Afterburn for 2015 but with no success. Could you tell me how to install it. thanks Mateen
Hello,

Can you please check the plugin.ini file - maybe paths for AfterBurn were not added properly.

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
I'm having the exact same issue. It seems the plugin.ini file is set up properly:

[Directories]
AfterworksCommon=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins\Afterworks\Common
DreamScape=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins\Afterworks\DreamScape
AfterBurn=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins\Afterworks\AfterBurn
[Help]
DreamScape=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\help\DreamScape.chm
FumeFX=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\help\FumeFX.chm
AfterBurn=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\help\AfterBurn.chm
Michael J. Narlock
Head of Astronomy/Web Coordinator
Cranbrook Institute of Science
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

ph: 248.645.3235
fx: 248.645.3050
Hello Michael,

If that plugin.ini from 3ds max root folder or the one on the en-Us folder.
If from the 3ds max root folder, can you please try to copy the text to plugin.ini inside the en-US folder ?

Thank you.
Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
I was having the same issue and saw this string. Copying fromt the root .ini to the en-US .ini took care of it.
Hello Judge94,

Thank you for sharing the info that this fix works.

Regards,

Kresimir Tkalcec
I also had the same exact problem. But the fix of just copying the plugin.ini file from root folder to the en-US folder didn't work. I had to open a file called Plugin.UserSettings.ini in the ENU folder and add the lines about afterburn that were in the plugin.ini file of the root folder and now its working.
Hello,

Thanks for the info - this is the first time that I hear the Plugin.UserSettings.ini file needs a change.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
I too modified the plugin.usersettings.ini and all seems to work perfectly now.
Michael J. Narlock
Head of Astronomy/Web Coordinator
Cranbrook Institute of Science
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

ph: 248.645.3235
fx: 248.645.3050
Hello

I too am having trouble with the 2015 install. I can't find where the files are being placed.
With Max 2014 I see this :

\c\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\plugins\AfterWorks

After I run the 2015 installer there is no Afterworks folder in 3ds Max 2015\plugins directory.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with .ini files etc but I can follow directions. Hopefully its just a simple matter of copying files to a new location. I just need a little advice.

Thanks,

Doug
Hello,

Can you please let me know what was the installation path that you have selected inside the AfterBurn installer ?

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
Hi

I don't get a choice of where to install when I run AfterBurn41R2015

After it ran I searched C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015
and found Afterburn in these directories

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scenes
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scenes\AfterBurn\Examples
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\help

I have disabled the firewall and virus protection.

Cheers,

Doug
Hello again
I tried a different machine and it looks as if the install worked. I was prompted for a version of Max etc. Can I now move files to the workstation that won't cooperate ? If so which files do I need to move. Or will this approach even work.
I have no Idea why I get different results.

All the best,

Doug
Hello Doug,

Yes, you can move the files to the appropriate folders.
Don't miss the AWUtils.dll form the 3ds max root folder and dumeFX/VoxelFlow plugins from the mental ray shader folder.
Also, add/correct paths to FumeFX plugins inside the /en-US/plugin.ini

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
Hello,

I wanted to post this here to see if anyone else is having trouble with 3ds Max 2015 crashing when rendering a AB particle system? It crashes every single time for me at the moment, which makes the plug-in a wasted investment. I have used AB for a long time and I really like it for smoke and fire effects within 3ds Max. I have also noticed that it will crash even if I try to save my AB configuration into a .adn file for use on other particle systems within other files.

If there is anyone that can give me some advice on what might be the problem I would greatly appreciate it. I have already taken the steps of uninstalling 2015 and AB and reinstalling, that was a no go. I have also did a test and tried to install it on another computer on mine running 2015, that was also a no go.

Thank you in advance for any help...

David
Hello,

Can you please post a scene so we can test it?

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec