• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and temperature Rollout
Hello,
I have some questions about the rollout smoke and temperature in the panel simulation.
What is the difference between dissipation and diffusion in both the rollout and how the diffusion and dissipation of the temperature influence the simulation
thanks a lot of availability Big Grin
I might switch the two around so forgive me if that's the case, but here goes:

dissipation - tells how quickly the property dies. After it's set to 100 in a voxel, how quicly will it dissipate to 0 if nothing else influences the property in that voxel - only the time is the variable.
Ofcourse it will never dissipate to 0 completely, thus you have the minimum threshold parameter below which the algorithm considers the voxel clear of that parameter (smoke or temperature). Higher dissipation - property dies faster.

diffussion - says how much the property spreads to neighbouring voxels. In real life if you pop a balloon full of smoke, it won't stay in the same place - it will diffuse around the volume getting bigger (more spread) and thinner (lower density)
The higher the diffusion - the faster the property will spread around.

As you can see they are also connected - if you set a high diffusion, the smoke will also dissipate faster - not because the time has gone, but because the smoke particles have left the voxel and went to another one.

For smoke it's pretty self explanatory - you set how longlasting (lifespan) you want the smoke to be and how well keeping-together.

For temperature, since you can't see it, the effect is a little more complicated.
For example, if ou want to make a fuel cloud ignite from a single place and then have the flame spread around the fuel cloud, you have to set a low dissipation, so that your temperature doesn't die to quickly and high diffusion so that the temperature will easily travel to neighbouring voxels and ignite them.