• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voxels keep entering my colliding object
Hi,
I have a big problem here I can't seem to fix.
I've created a "bed" of smoke voxels - and I'm trying to drop a brick on it - to get the nice plume of "dust" around the brick - with flowy motion.
I've managed to create an object that comes from the bottom and creates a mushroom-like puff - but when I bring an object from the top - the voxels don't go around it - BUT - inside it.

I tried flipping the normals, changing Shell to Solid, tried different speeds, different heights, still - nothing. I just can't understand it.
If I do Solid mode - seems like there's no movement on the voxels. The nicest movement is in Shell mode - but in this case - only inside my colliding object.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attached - sketches of the smoke behavior when the colliding object comes from the bottom and when it comes from the top.
Hello,

How thick is that bed of smoke (now many voxels thick) ?
If you throw a sphere , or any closed object - do you see any difference.

Regards,

Kresimir
Hi,

The bed of smoke is thin and the voxel count is low. I'm attaching a file for you to see. Also attached is a small gif animation showing what happens when the cube is dropped from above as opposed from the bottom.
Whether the voxel count is high or low - I would expect the reaction to be the same from whichever direction.

I also tried using a geosphere - same results. The sphere filled in with the smoke.

Maybe a higher voxel count would correct this - but I've noticed two things when dropping down the spacing value:
1. the bed of smoke rises considerably when the value drops. It's wilder and about 4 times as high (thick) when I drop the spacing from 3.0 to 2.0.
2. The simulation times are a killer, and the FXD files are much larger.

Thanks.