• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AB Shadow Map = Forced Particle Shadows
If we use AB Shadow Map, and if Afterburn Rendering dialog is NOT set to "Shadow Cast" then the light will still cast shadows from the particles onto scene objects, but he is not supposed to cast shadows!

In this image, the shadow on the ground should not be there because "Shadow Cast" is not checked.
Do you have by any chance: atmosphere shadows checked in the shadow parameters?
If so, it doesn't matter what you check in AB rollout.
This is why I posted the file...

Atmospheric Shadows are not checked
Sorry about this mate, I just don't have internet on my workstation so usually when I'm here, I don't have 3dsMax with me, so my first response is quick and simple.

Other than that I must confirm.
Checking cast shadows an receive shadows works well. But checking self shadows seems to automaticaly check cast shadows.
In other words - there is no way of getting shaded AB without it casting shadows on geometry in the scene Sad

Vista x64bit, Max2008 x64bit, AB 4.0.
I understand - thanks for checking.

Clarification: checking Self Shadows does not visibly turn on Cast Shadows. Are you saying this happens internally, because there is nothing in the ABurn UI to indicate this happens, right?

system config:

Afterburn 4.0 retail
Max 9 x64 sp2 + extension 1
WinXP x64 sp2
Intel Xeon X3220 2.4Ghz
nVidia Quadro FX 3700

thanks
Quote:Clarification: checking Self Shadows does not visibly turn on Cast Shadows. Are you saying this happens internally, because there is nothing in the ABurn UI to indicate this happens, right?

Exactly right.

It will probably take sitni a while to respond now, since every software company I need to talk now is preparing for Sigraph 2008 Wink
You don't work for Sitni Sati, do you...
Nope, but I do have some experience with finding, reporting and helping developers to solve bugs.

And since I get so much from forums like this, I try to give back as much as I can Smile
Hello Joe,

Unfortunately, with Shadow Map this option cannot be used.
We will add his info to the help file.

Thank you.

Kresimir
ok, thanks