• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotty renders in Max 2008?
When I load the Tut_04_Finished file into Max 2008, and attempt to render using the default scanline, the fire and smoke are filled with tiny black dots. This did not occur in Max 9 with the same file as I recall.

If I switch to FinalRender, the dots remain, but are far fewer in number. If I turn on anti-aliasing in FR, the dots pretty much vanish.

EDIT: Also, the position of the dots changes with multiple renders of the same frame. If I change nothing, just hit Render again, the image is different.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there an unforeseen conflict between 2008 and FFX?

Thanks,
JT
Yep same here. Of course, fume is not "officially" supported for max10, either though...
I'm not the happiest of Max 2008 campers right now...it's looking more and more like their claims to have done little to impact moving plugins may have been not so accurate. Looking like FumeFX may need to be changed to work for Max 2008, and now I've heard that FinalRender has some (currently minor, but who knows?) issues under Max 2008. Of course, it seems like any time Autodesk sneezes it breaks Finalrender, but now that it looks like other plugins are troubled I'm more willing to believe that it's actually a problem on the Max side and not just Cebas foisting blame on Autodesk.
jrand Wrote:Yep same here. Of course, fume is not "officially" supported for max10, either though...

Does this mean that this thread/issue will be ignored until it's officially supported? bummer....
Hello,

Officially, Autodesk claim that API is not be broekn and that plug-ins won't need recompilation.
We will check what's going on with black spots and post our findings.

Regards,

Kresimir
Jim,

Can you answer a few additional questions for me so we can test this thoroughly?

1. Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Max 2008?
2. What Operating System are you running under (XP, Vista, 64-bit)?
3. I am currently assuming for the moment that you had FumeFX already authorized on this system. Do you recall which version of Max you originally authorized under?

As you can imagine, the number of permutations is growing, so it's important to figure out what your configuration is so we can track this down quickly.

Sincerely,

-=Beau
Turbo Squid, Inc.
The World in 3D
BeauP Wrote:1. Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Max 2008?
2. What Operating System are you running under (XP, Vista, 64-bit)?
3. I am currently assuming for the moment that you had FumeFX already authorized on this system. Do you recall which version of Max you originally authorized under?
-=Beau

My answers, with an assessment of my level of certainty:

1. Running the 32-bit version (100% certain)
2. Running it all in Windows XP - SP2 (100% certain)
3. Yes, it was already authorized (100% certain), and I originally authorized it under Max 9 I believe (95% certain).

Let me know if you need more info...I believe you also have my email from way back.

Thanks,
Jim Todd
Hi Beau,

In case you wanted some more info.

FumeFX running on

Windows xp64 SP2
Max 2008 64
Was registered under Max 9.

-John
Thanks guys.

We're looking into it now and will let you know what we find.

-=Beau
Turbo Squid, Inc.
The World in 3D
Thanks much...at least it seems we've seen it in 32 and 64-bit systems...but all XP to-date, and all Max 9 original auth.

I can almost see working around this with FR and antialiasing, but I'm betting that animated renders will be a problem.

JT
Hello,

We have find that cause of it. It's somehow related to 3ds max parameters update during rendering.
With some code rewrite, we were able to solve this issue.

Update of FumeFX will be ready ASAP.

As a workaround, disable multithreading for rendering.

Regards,

Kresimir
Thanks, gang.

Obviously loss of MT will be rough, but fast rendering of the black dots is a far worse alternative.

Thanks again,
JT
phloog Wrote:...but fast rendering of the black dots is a far worse alternative.

LOL, quoted for agreement.

Thanks all Smile