• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vray Next crash; maybe Chaos to deal with
This may or may not be something for Afterworks to look into, however thought I'd post it.

Vray Next crashes rendering Fume fxd caches (v4 or v5) or Afterburn. Chaos suggests users fallback (free and included) to Vray 3.7. If not in your downloads, ping them.

Workaround - for me currently - simming (or converting) to VolGrid for Vray 4 rendering (haven't installed 3.7 yet). Otherwise Scanline rendering works fine for both Fume caches or AB.

Specifically, Vray Next is throwing a crash window with code when rendering the standard Fume .fxd cache. Seems to be working ok on VolGrid, though I do miss some of the shader look that VolGrid doesn't quite provide, that FumeFX does. Chaos states they are in contact with your team about the error.

Specs:
3ds max 2019
Fume4 or 5
AB 4.2.3
Win7
192GB
Hello,

Thank you for the report.
Two months ago we have asked Chaosgroup if they can provide the VRay VolumeGrid source code to us so that we can create a proper FumeFX support for VRay.
Vlado has promissed to help, but so far nothing has happened.

So, at this point the only proper way to use Vray is to sim to vdb and use it with the VRay Volume Grid.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hey Kresimir,

Thanks very much. Will do. I've submitted a few scenes to them. They state they're working on it - hopefully, since Afterburn also crashes. Thanks!

Best,
Brian