• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pigment / Powder Paint explosion and related.
Hey guys,

Recently i've been asked to produce some detailed pigment / powder paint explosions in CG. I've done a few tests and i'm getting some farily decent results, but yet nothing that looks really realistic. I'm wondering if any of you had some inputs to share if you have any experience tackling the topic.

I created a Pflow system that mimics quite well a grainy sandy explosion with some detailed dynamic breaking for the core of the explosion. I added quite a lot of fine dust debris. I use that Pflow system to generate FumeFX smoke in quite a high density grid using the Particle Source emitter (several actually, 1 for each different color of pigment paint required for the end look). In combination with that I'm also using a couple of simpler Pflow source emitters to fill in the core of the eplosion. To get more realism in terms of dynamics i also use the first Pflow detailed system as collision object (mesher object). Took me some time to get the right dynamics, but it's looking pretty decent already. I get variations in the shape, some nice long pigment (smoke) tendrils pulled out of the Pflow chunks / frags through the puffy core explosion.

My problem now is to render this right. Although the fluid mapping allows to add quite some interesting details in the shape, i'm nowhere near being able to get near the sim enough to get proper close ups. I'm abit reluctant to take this deeper into a Stoke / Krakatoa workflow due to the size of the sim. Partitioning it in Krakatoa for this one sounds like a shitstorm of heavy PRT saving and an even more unfriendly workflow rendering it with Krakatoa. I have very acceptable render times using FinalRender (very bad render times with Vray, go figure...).

If you have any experience with this type of effect / look and feel like sharing, it'd be much appreciated!

I'll post some samples later if anyone's interested.

Thank you.

A.
Wow...