• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
control rotation and scale with PFlow
How do I switch control of rotation and scale to PFlow in the latest version of AB?

Thanks
Mark
Hello,

That should be done through PF Box #3 Data Operators.
We've found a few bugs in AfterBurn that might cause problems when using AfterBurn AFC Controllers with PF float/vector data and update should be ready next week.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Thanks.
Exactly how would I do that?
Hello,

Here is an example for AfterBurn particle radius.
For rotations, you'll have to follow the similar worflow.
I suggest that you update AfterBurn to 4.2.2 first.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Thanks!
I'll update and give it a try.
I've routed PF rotation to an output of type vector script, AB picks up on this in the rotation but does some funky rotation - nothing like what the particles are doing. I routed the vectors x,y,z to the AB rotations x,y,z respectively. AB rotates in the opposite direction and jumps about. I'm guessing this is a bug but it would be great if you brought the simple tick box back to connect AB rotation to PF rotation, maybe via a daemon rather than the old PF node. If you try routing the PF rotation to the AB rotation you should see what I mean. In my case I had the particles rotating in the speed space with an animated Y parameter to get a good rolling effect. I also tried the PF spin node with the same settings which yielded different results with AB but AB was still not following correctly with intermittent jumps in the rotation matrix. Oh and I viewed what the particles were doing by setting them to display as cube geometry so I could see the rotation.
... Oh and I just thought I'd add that I'm using Max 2017 with AB 4.2.2. I downloaded the test file you posted showing the scale but it doesn't work, the AB particles don't change in size at all, maybe it's a Max 2017 specific issue? Looking forward to your reply anyway!
Hello,

If you change the Closest Particle Distance FOV "Outer" you can see the particle radius to change, so it seems that everything works properly.
The AFC controller Output Type is set to "Replace" which means that the AFC low and high values will not be used at all.
However, the Value Scale will work.

As for the rotation - if you can please post the scene so that we can take a look ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hi, I'm posting a basic scene highlighting my issue with mapping the particles rotation to AB. It seems the rotation is not treated on a per particle basis?
Hello,

The problem is in Euler angles - we will have to add to the AfterBurn controller to use a complete tranfotrmation matrix.

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking AB needs to use a matrix rather than vector input, I noticed PFlow can export a matrix. I hope it's not too much work to add this to AB, if it is then maybe bring the PFlow node back into action?
You're welcome.
This will actually have to wait for the next AfterBurn version, but we will add it for sure.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Ok, thanks! I use FFX mainly but I find AB is useful for distant volumetric's or clouds etc, lower cost in terms of time and disk space. I'll look forward to the next version then Smile
Any further forward on sorting out the rotation issue? I need it for max 2015.

Thanks
Mark
Hello Mark,

It will be done for the AfterBurn 5 and it won't be released that soon.

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hi Kresimir

Well it's unfortunate we've lost that functionality since I use it a lot.
On the other hand, I'm pleased to hear that Afterburn is still being developed! It's an incredibly useful tool for me, especially the Octane shader.

Thanks
Mark
Hi. Has there been any further developments for AB5? Mainly curious about the rotation issue mentioned above. Any info appreciated! Thanks.
Hello,

At this point there is no information about AfterBurn 5.0.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec