• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FumeFx Preview window causes Max to hang
Hello,

I'm currently using 4.05 but I've had this issue with older versions of Fume. The basic problem is that when the preview window is set to automatic update and a number of voxels are visible in frame, it uses 100% of the cpu which makes the UI unresponsive, and hangs Max. It's not even possible then to turn off automatic update to regain control. The only solution is to kill Max and re-load.

This occurs even when previewing small cache files of 40mb per frame. I can get round the problem by turning off automatic update, but it would be better to be able to view shader and render changes while making them. Fume didn't used to do this, but it seems to be a regular problem with recent versions.

This occurs when using the CPU or GPU preview, and our Fume caches are saved on the network as fxd or vdb files.
I've run some more tests and this seems to be related to the size of the preview window. Over a certain size it looks like the preview window constantly generates a new preview image even if no changes have been made in Fume.

At least I have a workaround to this problem, but it would be good to know why this is happening.