• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trouble with wavelet sim
Hi,

I am having trouble with wavelet simulation. I have discussed this issue with Domagoj Korak via mail. To not repeat myself I am just going to paste in the communication I have had so far (blue is me, green is Domagoj):

so the problem is, that when I start the wavelet calculation, it renders the first frame and then just stays on the second (keeps calculating). I partially managed to fix the problem by getting rid of my maya settings (!) and then it works for some time, but this seems to come back once in a while (and I have to get rid of the settings again).

We are not sure what exactly is happening when you do wavelet turbulence simulation.
To do wavelet turbulence first you must simulate Default simulation first.
Also make sure that you set Extra detail to Wavelet Turbulence mode in your FumeFX Simulation rollout.
What OS do you have on your system?
By not rendering the frame are you meaning on preview window rendering?
In Output rollout in Fume UI what you have entered under Viewport Update?

I am aware of the procedure to do wavelet.
I am on windows 7, Maya 2015 ext 1 sp5.
By not rendering I mean doing simulation once I hit the simulate button on the fumefx shape. The simulation window pops open, it runs through frame 1, starts frame 2 and stays on frame 2 with cpus running. In that state I have to end maya with the task manager. Deleting maya settings, loading exactly the same scene with the same default cache, running wavelet again then works.
Is it possible that something is corrupting some fume fx setting in the mayasettings? Can you tell me where fumefx saves it settings (like default path etc.).
So just to clarify: It does work now because I have deleted my mayasettings. The problem just came back within a few hours – but its fixable by just deleting the settings again. If there is a ways I could find out what causes the problem that would be preferred though.

Which version of FumeFX you have on your machine?
Please go to wavelet folder and see does FumeFX saves wavelet cache files after the calculating stops.
How many memory you have on your system?
Please go to Fume UI and take a screenshot of General Parameters and Output rollout.
Thank you for your cooperation.

so I am on the latest 3.5.7 (btw. my maya is 2015 ext1 sp6 (not sp5) while the other machine we tried on was 2015 sp3)
As it currently works, I can’t test out if there are files written. I did however do that test when the problem was there and it wrote the first frame (FumeFX_wt_0001.fdx) and then a frame without framenumber (FumeFX_wt_.fdx) but did not write the second frame.
32 GB, memory should not be an issue, because I tested it with the standard container, standard simple source, standard wavelet settings – and it worked with exactly that scene when I got rid of the maya settings.

Up until now I couldn't send a problematic scene and I thought it was related to my maya settings, but now I have a scene that doesn't seem to do wavelet sim. I am also on 3.5.8 now.

Please find it attached.
Hello,

I have tested your scene with 3.5.8 and everything seems fine.
You can crack up the Wavelet Turbulence fire/smoke strength to 10 if the effect is not visible enough.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hmm, than it still has something to do with the maya settings (allthough I thought I deleted them, need to doublecheck.) There is still something wrong here. Will doublecheck and report back.

Thanks,

Ronny

sitnisati Wrote:Hello,

You can crack up the Wavelet Turbulence fire/smoke strength to 10 if the effect is not visible enough.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Oh and by the way, it is not about the wavlet turbulence showing up, but the fact, that the wavelet simulation just stop on frame 1. But that obviously hasn't happend in your case either.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hello,

Yes, it simulates here throughout the entire range.
Can you please take a screenshot of the FumeFX' output window when the WT simulation hangs and post it here?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Actually I can't, because it seems Windows can't do a screenshot of an application that hangs. But the last four lines read like this:

Calculating Wavlet simulation

Frame: 1
Memory Allocated
Resizing: from (8,8,8) to (42, 42, 22)
Memory used: 6Mb

sometimes it also writes "Starting PBV"

The cpus hit 100%, memory doesn't change at all and thats it, I just can close maya through the taskmanager.

I am sending you the scene (its another quick test plus the first couple of frames of the default cache, maybe there is something wrong with that)

Can you please take a screenshot of the FumeFX' output window when the WT simulation hangs and post it here?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Ok, so adding to my previous post I deleted my maya settings once again, opened the scene hit wavelet simulation and it just worked. So it must be something in the settings that gets screwed up. Any idea what that could be?

ronald_a Wrote:Actually I can't, because it seems Windows can't do a screenshot of an application that hangs. But the last four lines read like this:

Calculating Wavlet simulation

Frame: 1
Memory Allocated
Resizing: from (8,8,8) to (42, 42, 22)
Memory used: 6Mb

sometimes it also writes "Starting PBV"

The cpus hit 100%, memory doesn't change at all and thats it, I just can close maya through the taskmanager.

I am sending you the scene (its another quick test plus the first couple of frames of the default cache, maybe there is something wrong with that)

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hello,

Not sure what might went wrong with just the WT and not the Default sim.
How many CPUs do you have?

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
16 + 16HT

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
I have same problem, wavelet stopped on frame 1, and cant continue.

Maya 2015 -extension -SP5
did you try deleting your maya settings?

Thomixioso Wrote:I have same problem, wavelet stopped on frame 1, and cant continue.

Maya 2015 -extension -SP5
hmm, looks like this trick works.
I'm now having another, rather unrelated problem that a wavelet sim actually crashes maya (not freezes it as with the previous problem). I've included a scenefile. Maybe you want to have a look. Run the default sim for a couple of frames (which works fine) and then run the wavelet sim.
Maya 2015 ext1 sp6, ffx 3.5.8

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
test scene works well here. Wavelet sims normally.

I have Maya 2015 Ext1 +SP5 and FumeFX 3.5.6
might be interesting to see what 3.5.8 makes on your machine

Thomixioso Wrote:test scene works well here. Wavelet sims normally.

I have Maya 2015 Ext1 +SP5 and FumeFX 3.5.6
I'm having the same issue with the wavelet sim hanging indefinitely on frame 2. I even tried the default FumeFX sim, and it still does the same thing.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling FumeFX, deleting maya prefs, and still the same issue. I even tried multiple machines.

It appears to be a problem with Maya 2015 Ext 1 SP6. I tried installing Maya 2016, and the wavelet sim works fine.

Windows 7 SP1
12-core & 16-core Xeon
FumeFX 3.5.8
I encountered this using Maya 2015 sp5 - deleting user prefs did the trick. I've updated to sp6 and the problem is back again.

Going to try to update to 2016 and see if that works.
There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.
Tried on Maya 2016 and I can't get FumeFX 3.5.8 to run - I'm getting an AFLICS error.

I reinstalled FFX on Maya 2015 sp6 and wavelet hangs on frame 3, then Maya freezes with all procs firing.

This is really unfortunate - I'm in the middle of a job and really need this to work, now I can only do default sims that don't have that extra res I need.

Any ideas guys?
Hello,

Under the files download it states that FumeFX 3.5.8 is built with Maya 2015 ext1 sp5.
Autodesk has a habit of breaking compatibilities on Maya even between SP releases.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec

Under the files download it states that FumeFX 3.5.8 is built with Maya 2015 ext1 sp5.
Autodesk has a habit of breaking compatibilities on Maya even between SP releases.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec

This problem started with SP5, so I updated to SP6 to see if that fixed it. It didn't. I tried 2016 and that didn't work either.

So SP5 is problematic as well.