• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flicker in shadows cast by objects rendered in vray
We're rendering with shadows in vray and both local and on the farm, the shadows flicker. The alpha is fine, and with shadows off, fine, but with shadows on, flicker.

We did three tests:

- objects cast shadows, fumefx self shadow: flickers
- objects not casting shadows, fumefx self shadow: no flicker
- objects cast shadows, fumefx not self shadow: flicker

So any thoughts as to why object shadows are flickering in fumefx with vray shader?

specs:
maya 2014
vray for Maya version 2.45.01, revision 24241 from Feb 26 2014, 06:27:25
fumefx for maya 3.5.3
Win7 x64 pro

Oh, one more thing, we tried both rendering in batch locally, so one machine, one architecture, and rendering on the farm...same results.

Thank you for any help on this.

-ctj
Hello,

Can you please post a scene and a video clip ?

Thank you.

Kresimir Tkalcec
Here's the QT: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/357 ... er_v01.mov

and the scene file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/357 ... up_v01.zip

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

-ctj
I am curious if this workaround helps you. It will mean a slower render however.

-Take your shadow light and duplicate it twice (so you have three lights).
-translate your duplicates just off the original-so you have an array of three (that resembles a traffic light).
-Now link to all three lights to the fume grid. You'll likely need to reduce all three lights to about a third of the original instensity so together they are as 'bright' as your original was.
-Render a sequence.

This has worked for me with non-Vray flicker issues. So I am curious if it helps? If it does
I was hoping it suggests what the core of the issue is and if it can be fixed in the plugin design for any render
(because i think they all get this issue from time-to-time).

ral
Hello,

I have tried your scene, but unfortunately nothing have rendered.
In the meantime, we have fixed several bugs in mental ray and VRay shader.
Please try to download new installer and let me know if it fixes the flickering.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkaclec
Wild guess Kresimir (for client that scene not rendering). Check and see if the smoke is using Fluid Mapping. If it is at 100% opacity-but the ref texture isn't available with the setup than that smoke will render 100% transparent. This has fooled me a few times-could fume log/mr a warning if its expecting something in the fluid map?

And are those fixes in 3.5.3-or is what you talk about 'newer' than 3.5.3?
Hello,

It is not using the Fluid Mapping, so not sure why it does not render.
Few fixes have been added to FumeFX 3.5.4 and we have uploaded it a few days ago.

I hope it works for you.

Regards,
Kresimir Tjalcec