• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AfterBurn crashing in 3dmax 2019.3
Hi,

I try doing the tutorials that come with Afterburner, I do the first one about the octane shader and as long as I don't try to render to a larger size then the default 320x240. it works fine, but the minute I up the resolution to 1920x1080 or 800x600. and hit render it crashes 3dmax to the desktop. Everytime.

So I thought the tutorial were old, so I created on from scratch... same thing render in 320x240 no problem. Change size of render... booom it crashes.

I have the latest afterburn 4.2.3 and 3dmax 2019.3.

has anyone else had this problem... or is this a known bug with the software. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Koji
Hello,

We've loaded the Tut1 finished file and rendered in 800x600 and all went fine.
Do you use Scanline renderer?

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
Hello,

Yes I do you the scanline render, it's faster than Vray which I have also.

is that the problem?

thank you.
Hello,

We did a test with Scanline and it went well.
Maybe you can post a scene for check ?

Thank you.
Afterburn with Vray Next 2.1 crashes for me. All variations of lighting and AB modes. 3ds max 2019.2. Thoughts? Thanks for your time. Scanline works fine.
I didn't post a scene because it's the one from your own tutorials. Like I stated before, if I render it in the render size that it come at it's okay. Resizing it to anything else and the bam. Crashes 3d max.

it's unusable.
For now, may just have to use Scanline. That's what I'm doing here. Of course that may not work depending on the elements you need.

I've also contacted Chaos group.

Are you saying that even on Scanline it's crashing for you?
Yes even in scanline. If I try to resize the render output to say like 1920x1080. Boom. Crashes 3dmax.
How many CPU core do you have on your machine which you use for render? I was going to write a new topic but I think that my problem is similar as yours. I am having Afterburn crash problem on all machines with CPU cores (logical processors) with the number more than 32. On our render farm we have different computers with different numbers of CPU cores - 4,8,16,24,32,48,56,64. When I render Afterburn using V-Ray 3.7 as high resolution image which involves all CPU cores then Afterburn renders fine on all machines with CPU cores
Hello,

Thank you for the bug report. It's been confirmed with Scanline on machine with 40 threads and 1920x1080 output - it seems that lower resolutions work.

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
This is great that the bug has been confirmed. Is there a time frame when fix will be available?
Hmm... There is no response from Afterworks on a critical bug after a few months.
Hello,

AfterBurn 4.2.4 is released that should fix this issue.
Please let us know.

Regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec
I had a chance to check the latest version of Afterburn. I can confirm that Afterburn doesn't crash now on CPU with more than 32 threads but it just doesn't use them all, they stay idle. Even if render shows all buckets rendering (V-Ray 4.3 in Max2020.3) on my 24-core (48-threads) CPU the render time is twice slower than on 10-core (20 threads) CPU. I think the problem is still the same as for FumeFX.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2108