Sitni Sati Forums
FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - Printable Version

+- Sitni Sati Forums (https://forum.afterworks.com)
+-- Forum: Products (https://forum.afterworks.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: FumeFX [C4D] (https://forum.afterworks.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 (/showthread.php?tid=2071)

FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - mdfmuse - 01-31-2022

Hi. I've purchased a new Mac computer which comes with Apple's new M1 chip architecture and runs latest Apple OS- Mac Monterey 12.1. I've had some trouble running a couple of other 3rd-party plugins, so thought I'd ask this question before installing. Will FumeFX run as a native plugin (ie: coded for M1 chip) within C4D R25 (also running native- NOT running under Rosetta simulation)? I can't run C4D under Rosetta as that crashes some other plugins. Thanks for the information.

Re: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - sitnisati - 02-01-2022

Hello,

I suggest that you send us email to support@afterworks.com and ask for a trial version.
This way you will be able to see how FumeFX works on your system.

Feel free to contact us for any questions.

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec

Re: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - mdfmuse - 02-01-2022

Hello Kresimir: Thanks for the rapid response. What I was asking is has Sitnisati/Afterworks coded FumeFX to run in native mode for the new Apple M1 chip? I am a current paid user of FumeFX on an older system but am migrating to the new Apple M1 architecture, and so do not need a trial of the software. Since you asked if FumeFX runs on my system, I can tell you that it does not. I will also forward this response to support@afterworks to make sure support is aware. I just installed the current FumeFX v507 on my new M1 system, then ran C4D R25 (native mode). FumeFX does not appear within C4D- not as an extension and not as a menu item. Looking forward to hearing if development for native compatibility is happening. Thanks!

Re: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - sitnisati - 02-02-2022

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.
We've built FumeFX with X Code with the support for the x86 architecture.
M1 is not compatible with X86 architecure and has completely different instructions set.
If Rosetta emulation does not work we hope that they'll improve it with time. At this very moment we do not have plans to support M1.

Best regards,
Kresimir Tkalcec

Re: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - mdfmuse - 02-02-2022

Hi:

Well that is very disappointing news. Apple will most likely not be improving their Rosetta code, as their goal is to move developers and users to their new native M1 architecture, which runs code much faster when the code is written in native format. I have not yet tried running FumeFX in Rosetta emulation mode because to do this C4D must be set to run in Rosetta emulation, and I observed some other C4D plugs crash when C4D ran under Rosetta (for me). So it could be that FumeFX might run under Rosetta, but for me that option is not good.

Please note that C4D itself runs natively on M1, so most users would want to run C4D natively on M1 and not slow it down considerably through Rosetta emulation. If you have no plans to port FumeFX to M1 code (ie: a 'universal' application which runs native and also on X86 architecture) you will lose much of your user base on the Mac platform over time, as more and more users will only be offered the option of buying the M1 architecture from Apple when they need a new computer. Rosetta is meant as a temporary bridge, giving developers some time to create native M1 code; it won't be developed over time. Apple does offer support to developers in porting their code to the new platform; I hope you will reconsider.

Re: FumeFX on Mac M1 chip running Monterey OS in C4D R25 - sitnisati - 02-04-2022

Hello,

Thank you for your post.
M1 is a new CPU and we will definitely add support for arm64 architecture to support our valuable OSX users, but it won't be an immediate update.
We will try to push it along our current development tasks and we'll let you know once we have an update.